Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Annus Terrificus

2008 report: Total mileage 3500km - average weekly 67km, highest 100km. This has been a terrific year for me - a lot of goals achieved and PB's aplenty. I must make an effort to remember and enjoy this period - it may never get better than this. Going sub-3 at Perth was the standout highlight, but the raft of PB's in the latter half of the year, particularly the 36:33 10K time and the 9:58 for the 3000m at Perry Lakes were other definite highlights. Just being up there and competitive in WAMC races with people I was admiring from a distance only a year ago has been a real thrill.

The year did not start well - I picked up an injury on the 2007 Christmas run and ran with some sort of leg pain, varying from niggly to nasty for the first six months of the year. The addition of a 6mm heel lift (plus a couple of ATM cards)  in the right shoe seems to have sorted out the niggles and I have been pretty much pain-free for the latter 6 months of the year. Seems it took the Perth marathon to sort everything out.

At the start of the year my average running economy was about 705 beats per km for most training runs. Over the course of the year this has improved dramatically to around 660 beats/km. At the end of 2006 I was at about 745 beats/km. Long may this trend continue!

I don't any specific goals for the year ahead - I'd like to shave a bit of time from the PBs, and would love to go sub-3 at Boston, but mostly I'm determined to enjoy the experience of Boston, and simply enjoy my running.... 

Let hope 2009 is a great year for everyone, full of PBs and no injuries!

2 comments:

Clown said...

Hey Dave

Fantastic results for 2008 and really well deserved.

All the best for 09.

Cheers

trailblazer777 said...

Well done! on a fantastic year, especially the sub 3! Admire the persistence of working through an injury issue. With the 660 beats per km what are the beats? (heartbeats?)...
Agreed re have to savour good years like this as not every year is as good, but expect there is plenty more PB opportunities in 2009. All the best with enjoying Boston and the year ahead!