Tuesday, August 31, 2010

City to Surf 12k in 43:06 27th overall, 1st in 40-49 Age Group

Funny how life catches up with you. I just had no zip in my legs at all today, it was just plain unpleasant hard work today. At no point did I feel good. My HR hit 185 just before the top of Malcolm St hill and I wanted to stop from that point onward. Average HR was about 180 – hard to tell it dropped out a bit, but I was in the red zone for all but the first 2 minutes. I may have gone too hard at first, and after 7k all I wanted to do was give it away.


4k 13:35 (3:24)
7k 24:31 (3:38)
9k 31:37 (3:33)
10k 35:45 (4:08)
11k 39:44 (4:01)
12k 43:08 (3:23)


Some k markers were dubious so the above splits are not really worth much.I can’t complain, I’ve had a lot of good races this year, I’m bound to have a bad one sooner or later. It’s still 26 seconds faster than last year…. and another thing I can say is that I wasn’t overtaken by anyone except Mark Lee who pipped me on the line. Turns out I won my age group too :-)

A highlight for me, I did enjoy being amongst the leading women ; Melinda Vernon (winner of 2009 Sydney C2S) was just ahead and I had Tara Palm breathing down my neck at the bottom of Oceanic. I was alongside Lisa Weightman up Malcolm St hill, clearly she was just taking it easy. Then she put the hammer down and disappeared from view. Amazing athlete.

4 comments:

DB on the run said...

still a great run dave
everyone seems to have run a tad slower this year,
i put it to the slightly different course, which included grass and running on the far side of oceanic, too late of a start time and too hot!
cant believe when we crossed the finished line they were offering sunday times newspapers not waters!
glad you had a slow 10 and 11km cause i did too ahah
doing freo?
i might if i recover in time, very sore quads atm from smashing the downs hills!

DC64 said...

Thanks - yep, I'll be going to do the Freo Fr, but I'm now in the full swing of New York training so won't be able to taper too much. My quads are still biting as well...

trailblazer777 said...

Congratulations on winning your age group! Those hills can impact...humidity may have been a factor., or just a bad day. Its cool when you get to run with some of Australias best. Well done!

Lisa Weightman said...

You've made my day...I wasn't too keen going crazy prior to that first big hill!! Plus the start was a shock without a buzzer!! Hope you have pulled up well.