Monday, October 18, 2010

NYC number #4694 Blue Wave 1 Corral #4 start 9:40am

Got my rego information today along with the race handbook. No going back now...

I'm in the last big week before taper starts which I'm quite looking forward to. 25km on Saturday and I'll race the 10k at Rotto as well. Next week I'll take 25% of the normal runs, and start to hone everything except recoveries around MP. We fly to the US on Tuesday 26th.

On reflection my training has gone very well, perhaps running some of the easy runs a bit hard. Time will tell if doing the long runs at similar to easy pace was wise ; most of them have started slow and finished around MP. The weekly mileage build and race mix has been gradual, where now I feel if I'm not clocking 120km I'm being slack.

One thing the recent warm weather has taught me - my last few Thursday evening runs in direct sun, temperature in the mid 20s, strong easterly wind and RH 10-20% I have experienced what I now recognise as quite severe symptoms of dehydration and lost 2.5-3.5 kg (starting @ around 70kg) of fluid. I'm starting to suspect a large part of my Boston disaster was severe dehydration (coupled with injury and a bad carbo-load) . I’ve never drunk much on my training runs (mostly because I don’t like stopping) , but as a result I am drinking a lot more and will pay attention to this on marathon day.

Only one scare with a soleus tweak which forced me to take a day off and miss an intervals session and a recovery run, but it resolved the problem.

1 comment:

trailblazer777 said...

Thats some very impressive data there. 153km @ 4.09 pace! The hay is in the barn!

My plans to make some progress on the big gap between 3.55 and 3.00 messed up in Melbourne again due to injury. Sling stranded on 3.03 with injury. Epi 2.57 before injuries struck, 2.55 from Biscuitman without very many months of momentum, Clown hits 2.53 on the back of sustained consistent training. SimonE sub 2.50 last year. The question in my mind and maybe some others is; what can Sugar do? All the best with tapering for NY, and hope its a big race for you, and a wonderful experience as well. All the best!