Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Paying the piper

Since New York I've run four times, each run getting progressively worse... two runs in Virginia and two since getting back in Perth on Sunday. I suspect the absolute awfulness of the two in Perth are mainly due to a head full of allergies and an upswing of abient temperature of about 20 degrees. Hopefully things will improve soon.

Post analysis of my training for NYC reveals a few things:

1. my longest long runs weren't long enough. If I'm training for a 2:45 marathon, I need to make sure at least some long runs are that long. Maybe I need to alternate the MP finish with pure LSD runs. My problem in the marathon came from a simple lack of endurance and leg muscle toughness.

2. Easy runs a fraction too quick.

3. Some MP runs too long. Maybe limiting to 21.1km would have been a good idea.

4. Tempo runs were mostly good, but I should have kept to the McMillan paces. I need to get over the temptation to beat the workout, especially when I'm feeling good. I think my training plateued a bit - the performance in Freo HM is an indicator of that.

5. Overall I think I got the volume right ; at no point did I feel absolute fatigue and the step ups were handled quite easily. The balance in different workouts was good as well. Recovery runs worked well too, instead of taking days off.

1 comment:

trailblazer777 said...

The 2.50 is a fantastic achievement! Well done!!! Thats a successful race, which isn't easy to do in the marathon and especially with the logistical challenges of New York!, which doesnt sound like the fastest course around either, although the encouragement sounds pretty surreal!

Agree with point 1. Long runs need to be in the 2.30-3.00 range at least.

Point 3; I'd be thinking anywhere around 16k-25k is ideal.

Agree you did extremely well with the volume and pace in the preparation. However there is always another level to aspire to even when you are Haile, and the reports I have seen are that now he is lining up at Tokyo in February 2011.

All the best with the track racing, and exploring the next level. I'll be trying to do similiar except about in B-F Grade compared to your A grade.

Nice to see the Running Centre has Moneghetti back again for february 26/27.