Monday, February 2, 2009

Week of 26/1 ; 12 weeks to go

First long run planned for this week - 34k up to Mt Helena, up Brooking road and back; exciting times... first run over 30k since the Perth marathon last year!

Monday: 12.72km tempo @ 3:58 pace HR 171 Ca87. Damn that was tough. Conditions were pretty nasty - pretty warm and sunny, little wind and 90% humidity. This was a 50 minute tempo run with 2k warmup and cooldown from Trigg to Hillarys (Flinders ave carpk) and return. So a hilly course as well - I was feeling pretty good until I got to the boat harbour and once I got to path in the beach reserve the oxygen just seemed to have been sucked out of the air. So - I enjoyed the first 15 minutes or so but the last 35 were a battle. Once finished I could have filled a glass by wringing out my shirt. Compared to last week, 6 seconds slower per km and 4 beats higher. I look forward to a nice gentle recovery run tomorrow.... all up 17 km today.

Tuesday am: 9.59km Recovery @ 4:39 pace HR 134 Ca84. Ran the bridges today for a nice change ; I figured yesterday's tempo had enough hills in it, so a nice flat recovery was in order. Took the opportunity to survey the carnage left by the Oz day revellers. There were lots of happy seagulls, and I'll bet the sales of bike puncture repair kits spikes this week with all the glass lying around from smashed beer bottles. Anyway, had a very pleasant run, in comfortable cool conditions with a surprisingly low HR.

Tuesday pm: WAMC Intervals. 2x200;JR ;2x300;JR+30s ;2x400;90s; 2x500;JR+90s; 2x600;JR+90s. Pretty hot and very humid plus the shorter recoveries made for a tough but rewarding session. The last 100m or so of the 5 and 600m reps my legs felt pretty drained. 

36, 38, 57, 56, 75, 72, 95, 95, 117, 117

All up 8.6k. On a side note it was great to see Slippery out there on the comeback trail and feeling good after his knee operation.

Wednesday: 10.04k recovery @ 4:51 HR 139 Ca 81. Ran from home around the river to Applecross and back. Still warm and humid, but it's much easier at this effort level! Had a bit of a race with a running group up and over Heathcote - I just can't supress my inner wanker... Had same discomfort towards the end in the right calf just behind the bone ; the same area where I had the issues with the heel lift last year. It may be down to the last few runs in the Inspires - it's possible they aren't quite right for me. Back to the Nirvanas for a few days and see how it goes ; may end up at my trusty physio for the first time in 8 months... fingers crossed. Went for a one hour bike ride late morning. 

Thursday am: 18k easy @ 4:26 HR 152 Ca 84. Mends St along Mounts Bay to UWA into a fairly stiff wind, up the western perimeter of KP past Sticky Beaks to Fraser Ave, up Fraser, down Lovekin to Goanna path back past Sticky Beaks to Fraser Ave for an extra 5k loop, down Malcom and back to Mends. Still warm and humid but a bit more comfortable this morning. I guess I'm getting used to it. Legs were a little stiff at the start but loosened up ; I was a little woried about the calf but it loosened up once we got to the park and didn't trouble me again. Usually going down Malcolm is a big test (and was agony when i had the calf problem before) but it was good today. Finished nice and strong. Sas had a good HR ; I think her recovery is now on track and will finish the training strong and blitz Boston.

Thurday pm: 12.15km MP @ 4:03 HR 159 Ca 86. Much better pacing but still too quick. Tried to control using the 4/3 breathing and was becoming more successful towards the end of the run - I ran the last 6 in 24:37  which is just under 4:08 pace which is what I'm aiming for. By the time April comes around I should have got this right! Ran from home down to Applecross on the river path and return. It was cloudy and cool all afternoon with no wind until about five minutes before I stepped out the door when the sun came out and the sea 'breeze' whipped up. Not too bad conditions though and I felt I was running strong into the wind. A good run, and I'm looking forward to my rest day tomorrow....

Saturday: 33.51km Long @ 4:38 HR 152 Ca 84. Ran with S & S up the trail from Darlington to Mt. Helena, down the trail and up Brooking Rd, then down Bailey Rd back to the trail and down to Darlington. First real long run in a while and it felt tough, esp. the middle section from Mt Helena to the top of Brooking. It was pretty hot and humid  and the body was struggling a bit to cope. Took a gel at Mt Helena whcih was yummy but I don't think made much difference, and then another at the top of Brooking - that one really hit the spot! Started to accelerate down the hill as the HR started to climb - I thought I might as well do a 'fast finish' long run, as the HR wasn't really going down when I slowed...  leg was a little sore going up but it calmed down.

Sunday: 7.8km Rec @ 4:57 HR 136 Ca 84. Down in Denmark to look at some property so ran from the Chalet on Ocean Beach rd down the Denmark Nornalup trail to the mouth of the Denmark river and back. A little hilly for a recovery and I felt reeeaaally stiff for the first k or so but loosened up. Very humid but enjoyable.

All in all a good week's training ; around 120k, but I may be paying the price with the sore calf muscle. It's a stabiliser so it's not a major issue ('ve seen it before) - I'm being a baby because i've run pain free for so long, I'd forgotten what is like to have a niggle. This one can be a little nasty though... next week I'll drop the total mileagebefore ramping up again.

1 comment:

trailblazer777 said...

I felt it this morning too, all the best with the plans to get the long runs over 30km.