Sunday, February 22, 2009

Week of 16/2 ; 9 weeks to go

Easy week this week ; time to recover before the final push to the taper. No run Wednesday, short Thursday am, no Thursday pm run and 2hr long run on Sat. Should end up at around 90k.

Monday: 40 minutes tempo @ 3:56 pace HR 169 Ca 90 21° 87% SSW20/24. Ran the 14.1k bridges loop  clockwise from Mends St - 2k warmup then 40 minutes tempo and then cool down. The tempo part went fairly well, esp. the first 30 minutes but the legs started to fatigue towards the end into the headwind coming back to South Perth. Again didn't eat anything beforehand, just the green tea. I have a sense of relief that it went as well as it did which confirms that the average run on Saturday was down to overdoing it on Thursday and not down to (long term) overtraining - a rest week should help things no end.

Tuesday am: 9.6km easy @4:43  Ca85 16°76% S19/26. For the first time in a while I can say 'a beautiful morning for running'. It really was. I was annoyed that I left my HR belt behind this am because I really wanted to know my recovery state. I felt pretty good once I'd warmed up and ran pretty easy the whole way, but the calf is excruciating to start with. I'm trying to avoid taking anti-inflams because I have read a lot of research saying that they hinder muscle tendon and ligament repair; they also upset my gut. If I take one, the pain disappears, so it's very tempting.

Tuesday pm: WAMC Intervals 25° 55% SSW35/54. Whistle session today ( 2min; 60sec JR) x2, (1:30; 60s JR) x 2, (1:00 ; 60s JR) x2, (30s ; 30s JR) x4 - 11 minutes of effort and 7:30 of JR. A good session in pretty windy conditions but it wasn't too hot. Covered just shy of 4.8k in the 18:30 time, so fairly happy with that. It was tough going, but then, that's why we go.... got blown off the track by Epi who is travelling really well at the moment - and will go sub 3 easily at Canberra. All up 8.5km.

Thursday: 13.28km Easy @4:24 HR 158 Ca 85 17° 61% E20/30. Horror run. No other words really. Felt like I was running on one leg, with fairly painfull tendonitis at both ends of the Tibialis anterior, and twinges elsewhere. I have heard that your brain tends to magnify things when they're bad, and it was certainly doing that today! HR was ridiculous ; hills that I normally sail up were really tough. I did have this experience once last year when I had some musle pain somewhere else and the HR was 15-20 beats off. Partially adrenaline probably and partially the fact that one leg was doing all the work! Anyhow, no run later today or tomorrow, going to KD this afternoon for what is hopefully a very painful massage that will help me get through this - it usually does.

Thurday pm: Massage ... ouch. The good news is that the right calf was just a mass of extremely tight and spasmed muscles ; the left wasn't all that hot either, not to mention the massive knot in the left hamstring (where did that come from!?). No 'injury' as such, but just need stretching, massage and a few voltaren to get me through. Note to self: regular sports massage when I upped the mileage would probably have meant I never got to this point. Stupid, stupid, stupid... a valuable lesson learned though.

Saturday: 23.4km @ 4:39 HR 162 Ca85 20° 40% E24/35. Caught up with Sas and Biscuitman for the extended park Rd run (map). Another bad one. I knew I was in trouble when the HR running down the hill to Midland was over 150. The leg wasn't too bad, I just felt a bit out of sorts. The feeling got worse through the run and I really started to suffer once we got to the top of the hill on Park Rd. I should be cruising at that point and the HR was huge and it was a struggle to keep moving to the point where I wondered if I was going to be able to finish. Having good company certainly helped - if i'd been on my own I would have started walking. Very disappointing because I was really looking forward to it. Did the same run 4 weeks ago with an HR of 142 albeit a few seconds slower. Still (at 4pm) feel crappy and very tired with headache which the Panadol should deal with any minute now....

No run Sunday, ended up being about 70k this week. Taking Sunday and Monday off to try and get over whatever malaise is dragging my ass to the floor; Berocca will be my friend for the next week or two. I suspect a mix of overtraining and viral infection is the problem - #1 probably allowed #2 in the door. Will also miss intervals Tuesday afternoon. On the plus side, a few days rest will help the calf problem. I have been starting to dread even easy running because of the initial pain....

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good tempo run Sugar...what is your Goal Marathon Pace

DC64 said...

The goal MP is around 4:08. The last couple of tempo runs have been a bit ordinary, but I'm hoping a good rest week will freshen me up!

Clown said...

All the best with the calf, maybe a bit of voltaren or flexall may work. Enjoy your "easy" week. I think you can def push sub 2:50.

Anonymous said...

have just discovered your blog, its great, looking forward to reading about your training.

Oh and nice profile photo :) i expect royalties when you're famous you know!

Epi said...

Good plan Sugar,

Dont want to stuff up all this progress by overtraining. See you back out there in a couple of weeks.

Biscuitman said...

Sounds like a good plan. You have a great endurance base and more than enough time to get back anything you lose by resting up for a few days.

Hope you come good quickly - cheers