Sunday, February 15, 2009

Week of 9/2 ; 10 weeks to go

Back to business this week with a longer tempo and mid-week long run. Not that it makes that much difference to the kms but should have helped with the recovery. Apparently I did 128k last week... this is out of control! I'm thinking the mileage will peak at around 135km in this program. Assuming I make it to the start line I'll be in the best shape of my life!

Monday: 12.9km Tempo @ 3:55 HR169 Ca90 18° 57% E19/28. Ran up the freeway to Swan Bells and back to minimise effect of wind - ended up with a bit of a headwind on the way back which made it tougher but at least there was a cooling effect. Reasonable run, although felt a struggle the whole way, again with good and bad sections. Definitely some residual fatigue from a pretty big 52Km weekend - didn't eat anything beforehand, just the green tea. I'll have to add the sustagen or try that 'up and go' stuff for these, esp in the high mileage weeks. Tempo section was a little over 50 minutes with 2k warmup and cooldowns.  Good news is that I have a very easy recovery tomorrow and Wednesday to recover. I will also be taking it easy at intervals tomorrow afternoon so as not to flare up the calf, which behaved itself today - didn't feel nearly as stiff and sore. All up 17km today.

Tuesday am: 9.59km @ 4:42 HR 140 Ca85 20° 58% E28/35. Ran the bridges loop from Mends St ; a little windy going out pushed the HR up a bit although it was very pleasant trotting along the Perth foreshore with a tailwind at our backs. Nice cool morning and reasonable run. Sore leg blah blah blah felt ok at the end. Made the decision  to have an easy week next week, dropping some doubles and possibly Wednesday too, and then have the big mileage push until the taper, with maybe one other easy week thrown in...

Tuesday pm: WAMC Intervals 32° 30% SSW19/26. 3x500 ; JR+90sec ; 3x400 ; 90sec SR ; 3x300 ; JR+60sec. Fairly short session in relatively hot conditions, although the wind wasn't really a factor for once. Found the going very tough beyond 150m or so of each rep and had to dig deeper and deeper to maintain the speed in the session - I think my anaerobic efficiency is being lost to the aerobic improvements in the training. Maybe that or the 78km since Saturday morning had me little tired this evening... times were 97, 92, 92, 73, 73, 74, 54, 53, 52.

Wednesday: 12k Easy @ 4:45 HR 139 Ca84 24° 34% ENE22/30. Nice easy run with Sandgroper, Sas and Original Simon from E.Perth around the Maylands Peninsular and back. Pretty warm with a warm wind right from the start, but I think it actually got cooler as we finished around sunrise. Pleasant company, pleasant run and didn't feel as fatigued as expected, esp. seeing as I need a tractor to drag me out of bed when the alarm went off... went for an hour bike ride late morning to consolidate the recovery.

Thursday am: 18km easy @ 4:23 pace HR 154 Ca86 25°28% NE24/32. Tough run this morning (Sas's MP run) along Mounts Bay then a couple of loops of the park before returning down Malcolm to Mends St. Very warm and dry - pretty uncomfortable conditions - we stopped for water after 10k which is unusual (I was having toilet issues ; felt pretty average since drinking some of that Cafe au Lait from Bannister Farms yesterday afternoon - not pleasant!). By the time I was finished my clothes were dry as though I hadn't sweated at all but I've never felt dehydration that badly in my mouth. Sas's HR was excellent - she beat me again... it's usually at this point in the program that I suggest we switch goals ;-)

Thursday pm: 14.1km MP @ 4:07 HR 162 Ca87 32° 30% S26/37. Anothother toughie from Taylor St clockwise around the Perth bridges - felt OK for most of it and am starting to manage the pace a bit better. Made the foolish decision at the Causeway to continue through E.Perth for an extra 5k. Things got tough heading back south from the Windan bridge into the wind where the residual fatigue really hit home ; it felt like I was in the final few k's of the marathon. Got through it though (as you do) and was able to pick up the pace again when I got closer to the Causeway. Felt completely smashed afterwards. Rest day tomorrow, and then choo-choo run on Saturday.

Saturday: 39.26km Long @ 4:55 HR 148 Ca84 19° 80% SE33/54. Choo Choo run (map). Pretty exciting morning dawned for the choo choo run. Conditions were OK temperature-wise but the wind was a bit of a bit of a bugger esp. at first with the relatively steep climb for the first 6k or so. Some of the footing was very soft, varying from sandy, rocky, pebble-gravelly to very good dirt road and bitumen. From about 12k on my legs felt like they had no power at all and any hint of a hill had me eating Sas & Sandgroper's dust ( I probably should have eaten more, only having a banana and a cup of green tea). I struggled through most of the run but it was a good mental test and I think I actually enjoyed it. I'm really looking forward to a very easy week next week - the legs need it.

Sunday: 10km Recovery @ 5:26 HR 135 Ca 83 17° 97% WNW4/7. Paced Kim for her 10k race but her asthma played up something terrible so wasn't really able to maintain a pace. She gutsed it out though so kudos to her for that ; it would have been soooo easy to pull out. I'm not used to running at that pace and with the 'injury' ended up being in a fair bit of discomfort in the right lower leg for the whole thing.

In summary, this was another good 128k week, but fatigue is probably creeping up on me and I know I overdid it on Thursday with the second 14 in the afternoon. Live and learn. Anyhow, next week will be an easy week with a couple of runs cut and a shorter long run with the aim of doing about 90k.

4 comments:

Biscuitman said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Biscuitman said...

Think I sawou finishing up at Mends St. Gave a wave but you had your head down stretching. Was out for a recovery trundle trying to keep my heart rate down in the low 130s as you ran past.

DC64 said...

Sorry, I must have been feeling really tired - I usually notice other runners! BTW, I'm pretty sure I saw you and gave a wave a couple of Sundays ago (25 Jan) ; you were heading towards Maylands and I was heading back to E.Perth ; you had your headphones on and were in the zone. So it's one-all!

Biscuitman said...

Sorry as well. I am also usually a pretty good runner spotter (apparently shocking with cyclists though, one of the parents from my son's school says he sees me and waves but I've never seen him ...)

I'll continue to keep an eye out for you.