Friday, February 19, 2010

Relays are fun!

Apart from the bloody awful humidity that were having to deal with it's been a pretty good week.

Intervals on Tuesday was 10x400 with 75 sec SR and then 5x80m sprints (24° 73%RH). Did a good warmup and hit the session with the fast guys - interesting how the person at the front became the person at the back and vice versa as the endurance of the various runners was shown up. My pace dropped off a little but did all of them in the 71-74 second range. 74.5/ 71.1 / 71.7 / 72.4 / 73.0 / 73.9 / 73.9 / 73.0 / 74.0 / 72.7.

Wednesday did 10.5km  in East Perth @4:49 HR 142. Nice easy run although I was feeling pretty tired from the intervals.

Thursday morning 9.6km around the Perth Bridges @ 4:41 HR144 ; like running in a steam room ; 19° 91%RH. Pretty mean conditions, did not feel refreshed and invigorated after this.

Thursday evening I went to Coker for the 4x800m relay. I had my eye on the pretty soft M45 state record of 10:48 but unfortunately we couldn't get a team of M45's together, so I ran with one guy who had an ongoing Achilles problem, one who was feeling crook after the 400m (but was roped in) and one who seemed to tear a calf when he set of so almost ran it on one leg (poor bugger - we told him to stop but he didn't). I was anchoring and picked up the baton as early as allowed to ran 810m and was happy with the 2:18 which is quicker than my 2:16.4 PB pace. What helped was having Scott Tamblin join me as I was rounding the bend with 170m to go doing his cooldown - I had to try to stay ahead! I think he picked up what I was doing so he started going a bit quicker too - had a good run though.

It was a very exciting night with the M80 relay squad smashing the world record by 1:20 and a few Australian records were broken too.



Before the relay I decided at the last minute to do the 3000m  because I didn't think the relay was going to happen - I hadn't warmed up at all so just set off easy and turned it into a tempo run. Paced Pete Sullivan to run 10:26 - I felt fantastic, almost the best I've felt on the track for a while, even though it was very warm - 29° 46%RH.

Friday morning did a nice recovery mystery meander in King's Park; 5.74km @ 4:42. Looking forward to the long run on Saturday.

No comments: