Friday, January 1, 2010

Vale 2009

Very light week so far - on Tuesday I used the 'rest' day to go for 26km cycle ride. I quite enjoy cycling but don't often have the time for it. Conditions were horrible though, very hot, airless and oppressive. It wasn't sunny but still around 36 degrees but there seemed no respite from the heat because it seemed to radiate from every surface, and there was no wind to move the air around.

Wednesday just the usual 6km at 4:31 HR 144 651bpk. A bit cooler so much more pleasant for running.

Thursday, I did the New Years Eve 4km at the club ; a record turnout apparently. It was relatively cool but very windy (SSW35/46) which made the section from the bridge south to the club a bit of a challenge (map). The first 2k north to the Windan and over the railway bridge was fairly comfortable at 6:40 (and very graciously, all the people ahead of me turned left at the junction because they were doing the 8k), but the fun started on the  way back. The first obstacle was running back into the stream of seemingly oblivious runners on a narrow path. It was like driving the wrong way up a busy one way street ; so many people with heads down not expecting traffic coming the other way. On occasion I had to pass oncoming people to the right and had to slam the brakes on quite a few times to avoid collisions, all the while shouting 'runner' . Not the best way to run the 3rd k of a race.... then came the last k into the teeth of a 35km/h wind. The quads were screaming and I knew that the guy coming second wasn't that far back - I knew the conditions were just as hard for him and I think I actually pulled away even though I thought I had slowed a lot. Pretty happy with the finish time of 13:50 in those conditions ; and a gold medal which I felt I earned for once.

Sas had a good run, also picking up some bruises from oncoming runners and finishing 3rd. Biscuitman was out there doing the 8k and had a good solid run - no leg pain which is the most important thing.

Managed to stay after until about 9:15 to see in the New Year (Sydney time!) - no appetite at all so just nibbled on fruit and carrot cake....

New Year's day hooked up with Sandgroper, Sas and Kim's gang to do 30 minutes from Trigg followed by a leg soak in the sea and brekkie at Wild Fig. A nice way to start the year ...

4 comments:

trailblazer777 said...

Congratulations on finishing 2009 with a WIN despite the "oncoming traffic" and the headwinds. Sure has been some oppressive weather at times lately. All the best in 2010!

Clown said...

Great work and congrats on the win.

Happy New Year, hope you have a great 2010 and the Vitamin D issue is resolved pretty quickly.

BTW Bec who you are pacing/running with is one of my physios.

Biscuitman said...

Great run on Thursday to top off a good year, You really are flying at the moment,

Epi said...

Great end to the year,

Just dont run a full pace marathon for a while so I can hold a PB over you for a bit longer!