Sunday, March 20, 2011

WAMC Neil Hawkins 10k ; 3rd in 34:39; 100km week

Great run. Didn't feel overly good in the warmup, and was going to tempo it today, but found I was keeping with Liam and Dean Menzies so went with it to see how it went. Mark Lee had scooted off at the start. 17:13 for 5km and 3:27's for the next two, I though a sub-35 might be on here. The last 3 has significant hill in it, and the next was 3:37, so I knuckled down and managed a 3:24 and then a 3:27 to finish. Those last two were tough through the bushland. Liam put in a bit of a gap at the start of the hill, but I then managed to hold it, and he finished maybe 8 seconds ahead; not surprisingly though he said he had been feeling a bit flat. Thrilled with this after a hilly 27km yesterday, but I felt pretty good yesterday too ; this has without doubt been one of my best weeks in a very long time. I also did 4:33 for the 1500 at the masters on Wednesday, a nice VO2Max hitout!

They had my time as 34:33 which would be a PB, but I got 39 on my watch, so I don't think I can claim it. It does throw up a moral dilemma though.  I often get 'charged' extra seconds in races, does this make up for those ? I don't think so.

 Consensus amongst Garmin users seemed to be that the course was 120m long, but it always seems to be - the consensus that is...

Bumped into Simon Elliot beforehand - hope he had a good one, the first race for quite a while, one to set the baseline; sort of where I was a few weeks ago.

Edit: Just realised that last week was the first 100km week since mid October....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The reliance on Garmins as an acurate distance measurer is a little out of control. Even if we ran on the exact race line we would still not expect it to be acurate... reception comes and goes and 120m over 10km is only 1.2% variance.

DC64 said...

I totally agree, that's why I don't wear one very often especially in races. I went through a phase of using the 405 for training because it was easier, but have since gone back to My Polar RS800, because the (IMO) important measurement of HR is more accurate. I was sort of having a little dig at the frequently overheard post race comment from some Garmin users...