Monday, September 28, 2009

Long Run and Tempo

Saturday we started bright and early at 6am from Darlington on a frigid but sunny morning, with a fairly strong easterly just to keep us honest (and a little colder). Did the same run as last week - strangely there were absolutely no kangaroos or wallabies anywhere, but there were still plenty of parrots and the wildflowers were stunning. Sas is getting stronger by the minute and ran really well today. We ended up doing 21.54km at a brisk 4:35 (HR149 Ca84 350m asc. 684bpk) without any stops .. lovely run. When we got had a quick stretch and a natter with the folks doing the short ones today, while enjoying a banana roll (sharing with the magpies & 28's) land. If anyone ever asks me, 'why do I run', that's why I run.. Beautiful weather, beautiful country, and good company.

Sunday I had a rest day. First day off for three weeks.

Monday Sas & I were up at NextG for our King's Park run with the only other 2 people nuts enough to run at 6am on a cold and wintry public holiday. Warmed up down to the bottom of the hill at Poole Ave where I started my 25 minute tempo effort back up Park Ave, the Law Walk, Fraser Ave to the circle on May Drive and back to StickyBeaks (map) 6.5km with @3:52 pace (HR173 Ca90 100m asc. 668bpk) ; this was tough effort with a few steep hills on the Law walk, but happy with the result. Can't say the day off made this easier... but I suppose it could be that it was hard because I did this on empty ;  the price for an extra 5 minutes in bed. But then, tempo runs aren't supposed to be easy....

1 comment:

Biscuitman said...

I'll see you Sunday I hope. I'll make an effort to keep you in sight during the 10k.