Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Recovery run, Intervals and the road ahead

On Monday ran with Sas thru King's park on the 8.4km loop. It was pretty cold and my legs were a little beaten up from Sunday, but started to feel OK by the end, so I'm glad I did it. Went downhill first and my legs were feeling pretty stiff and non-responsive by the bottom of the hill at Poole Ave (just after passing thru 'the freezer' around Zamia). Then we headed up the Law walk and it was a bit of an effort but the sunrise over the hills just as we came up took the mind off it - what a glorious morning!

Tuesday, I went down to the new aths stadium for a mid-level tough workout. The bad news is that we were informed that it will no longer be open for general admission in the mornings because they aren't getting the numbers, which pretty much sucks. I'm not surprised they don't get the numbers because 7am opening is just too late for most people who work... we'll see what happens.

Did a pyramid with fairly short breaks: 4x200;3x400;2x600;2x400;4x200, 4.4km of effort. It felt like hard work (I guess it's supposed to...), especially the 600s. The wind started to whip up mid-session which didn't help, but the times were fairly consistent and I PB'd on my last 200, so there's a high point. Ah, the little things....

36.0 35.7 33.8 34.6
72.7 72.0
1:55.4 1:55.8
73.2 71.8
35.6 33.6 34.6 31.4

Where to now? I found on Sunday that although the pace was consistent andI felt strong on the hills, stamina was an issue, so that's something to work on.

I reckon that until I stop seeing big improvements in the 5k I should keep going with those, but throw in a 10k race here and there. Probably do the 5k at the Freo HM, and at the Freo fun run, and the 10k at Rottnest. The road races is where the competition is at so I definitely look forward to that - and there seem to be a good few strong runners doing these at the moment - 16:52 at Lake Joondalup was only good enough for 9th place ; that's healthy competition!

The track on Thursday is good, but it's a shame there isn't any competition to push my effort up to another level. This may change as we hit summer, and there's a Master championship in Sydney soon that may see more numbers out there.



No comments: