Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Killer intervals

It was a warm and steamy night...21° 85% RH. Tonight we were testing the timing system they used for Melbourne again ; this time the RFID stickers on the backs of the numbers were much bigger. I think they had some issues at Melbourne, so I guess they're still trying to iron out the kinks. In any event when we do these, the sessions tend to be tougher with large group starts and short recoveries. This time it was 8x2 minute efforts with approx 1 minute JR and 1 minute SR. I got to pretty much the same spot for each interval even though i started to feel quite nauseous after 3 reps. I really had to push the legs hard to get through this ; good for mental strength! I was consistently hitting the 400m mark at ~1:13 and the 600m mark at around 1:50 so probably around 660m per rep which is nearly 5.3km of effort. With all the young guns elsewhere I turned out to be the rabbit for the session ; not too much fun being chased around the track by a bunch of blokes half my age, but I guess it kept me honest... very tough session ; the gusty NNW wind didn't help either.

Followed up with a recovery run 5.95km @ 4:37 HR 141 Ca83 653bpk on Wednesday morning. At least I now have a good break until Thursday night ; Saturday thru Tuesday was a tough training block.

Ran the Perth bridges early on Thursday, nice cool conditions 9.59km @ 4:33 HR 143 Ca85 650bpk. Felt energised by this, hopefully set me up for a good run tonight. I'm going to aim for 9:30 again, so will just do the 1k as warmup, because there won't be much of a break between the 1 and the 3.

No comments: