Sunday, October 11, 2009

Long run and tempo

Ran bright and early with Sas from Darlington down through the Boya quarry over the king-of-the-mountain creek and up the zig-zag and return ; Some good hills in this one and the conditions were perfect ; the views off the zig-zag were stunning. Stopped a couple of times at the Helena Valley school for water & refreshments (slacker!) and to cross the creek - managing to stay dry. I felt pretty good going up the hills - 24.5km @ 4:34 HR 148 Ca84 677bpk. A tough run but good - the legs felt tired afterwards - it's a tough finish up out of the valley back up through the quarry to Darlington.

Sunday morning ran a 6k loop recovery run @4:46 HR 141 649 bpk. Perfect morning for running - I felt surprisingly good today.

Monday morning I did my tempo after a 4k warmup from the bottom of the hill in King's park, up Forrest Dr, down May Dr over the circle and down to the path near Saw Ave, and up to NextG carpark (map). Legs felt a little heavy and jelly like at first but I got into it fairly well and felt quite strong once I'd got to the top of Forrest drive - 6:75km @ 3:46 HR 175 661bpk ~ 120m of ascent at a guess. Very happy with how strong I felt at the end of this considering how unenthused I was at the start.... all up 10.7k.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Sugar,
been following your blog for a while now. Actually I think I was standing next to you before the Freo half/ 5k and was going to introduce myself but chickened out.

Anyway what influence do you think cycling has on your running.

Gunner

DC64 said...

Cycling was great to keep my fitness going while I was injured, and also really helped with my quad and glute strength (especially those hill sessions in King's Park and Darlington-Kalamunda rides) which is of course invaluable for runners. I regret now that I don't really have time for it, because I sense the leg strength benefit is fading a bit. I guess I have to pick between intervals and cycling and I have to go with the former.

Are you doing the Rottnest FR ? I'll be there for the 10k, although planning a long run the day before - can't taper for everything! I've always wanted to run the island and this is a great opportunity to do that.