Thursday, November 5, 2009

'Cool' Night Classic

Cool night, my arse! 32° 15% SSE17/24 HR181 Ca90. Brutal conditions for racing, even the wind seemed against us for the first 3k or so. Went out relatively hard battling a severe case of dry-mouth for the first k and a half, and at 3.5km or so I realised I was in solid 5th, not that far from Stephen Stockwell, but too far to chase and way ahead of 6th so just took the foot off the pedal. I suspect that Stephen did the same, because I ended up only being about 10m behind, finishing in 17:30. Felt tired but not too bad at the end, so hopefully it won't affect me at the 10k track on Friday. Ordinarily I would have done light intervals on Tuesday and not much today, but I was entered for a team (before I realised the 10k track had moved from 30/10 to 6/11) so felt I had to give some effort. Sas gutsed through a tough run, finishing in 2nd, and Sandgroper was out there too with another strong performance. Not a night for PB's, a night for surviving. After we'd all recovered we jogged back to the car parked by the Narrows for a cooldown. It was a lot more pleasant going the other way!

Thursday early (5:45am) did a loop of the Perth Bridges in cooler but still pretty uncomfortable conditions. 9.59 @ 4:52 HR 140 682bpk. Legs felt OK, elevated HR due to the temp and some residual fatigue from last night no doubt.

Looking forward to Friday night. Here's hoping for a good one  ...

No comments: