Sunday, November 15, 2009

Peninsula 10k

Pretty good conditions today, the sun was warm but the air was cool and there was a little wind just to keep things fresh.

I started out close to the front but fell behind the lead pack fairly quickly because the pace was a bit hot for me - Roberto Busi and Shane Scott were in the mix along with Ross Langford, David Lazarus and Craig Dufty who were doing the 5k (and finished 1/2/3) and Rachel West I think who won the 5k. The pace settled down though and I started reeling in some of the guys who'd gone off too fast including the guy who I did the same to at Rottnest and Sam May who was the last person I went past at about the 3k mark. From then it was a solo run with the 3rd placed Karel Burger a long way ahead and Sam dropping back. The only excitement was trying not to collide head-on with the 10k'ers crossing to the left side of the path to get water from the water station as I was heading back.

I pushed fairly hard but a decent finishing time was really the only incentive, and consequently I dropped the intensity a bit, not having the desire to bury myself in this one. There weren't any k markers out there so I had to trust my own feeling and it turned out OK ; the first 5k in 17:51, and the second in 18:17. I could be a little disappointed with the second split but I'm actually stoked because I felt pretty good afterwards and didn't really feel like I'd even raced. I really just wanted a good hitout today and to get another championship race in, so mission accomplished. I have been feeling a little fatigued of late so if i can put out a 36:08 without destroying myself I must be through that phase..... and it's a 10k road PB.

SG did the five, and had a good solid run ; Kim had a strong run and a few others I know ran well today...

Deep tissue massage from Vic in the afternoon ; very sore glutes and fairly tight left hamstrings but calves were very good. Ouch....

1 comment:

trailblazer777 said...

Congratulations once again! The Sugar train just keeps marking off the stations!