Monday, December 14, 2009

A bit flat...

I've had a sense for a few weeks now that I'm starting to struggle a bit, and it really manifests itself when the temperature rises. There are a few weeks over Christmas when there is no Thursday evening meet at Coker and it will be a good opportunity to take some time out - I've definitely started to feel a bit flat at these. My mileage has crept up over the last few months to the mid 80's which shouldn't really be an issue but feelings of fatigue when not running have been on the rise, as has the pattern of sleep interruption. Things aren't right, and I have blood work in the system to see what's up - it may just be a passing phase. I have been doing a bit of racing so may just be a bit overdone.

Thursday evening did the 800m which as a horror run, but a PB ; 64.7sec for lap 1 and 71.7 for the second! Really died, but I learnt a few things ; I need a better warmup and a slower 1st lap. For the 3k I just wanted to run a decent, solid 10 minutes so mission accomplished. Tailed the whole way by Trevor Scott who will be coming out a bit more often. He has massive cred as a track and road runner and is a past winner of the Bridges run. Good to see him out there.... Sandgroper too had a solid 3k and pretty warm and windy conditions, although a bit less wind than the last few weeks.

Saturday's Llama loop run was a real struggle ; it's only 17k and was pretty cool when we did it, but I really struggled to get up the hills. Economy was another appalling 745bpk, and this after a rest day on Friday, admittedly a 10hr driving day with not so great nutrition.

Sunday at City Beach was a strange run ; I felt fine for the first lap but really hit a wall at about 5k ; the 4k split was 14:30, and I should have listened to my body and just ducked into the finish then. Second lap (Most stupid racing decision. Ever. More stupid in fact than my previous best which was turning left for a 2nd lap at the Bold Park cross country ) was about survival - I was feeling really nauseous and for the first time ever I was seriously considering a DNF. The 5k split18:15 and struggled thru the 6k mark and thankfully had a bit of a tailwind to blow me home. I expected half the field to overtake me as I crawled to the finish but only lost one place - second 4k was about 15:44 with k 6 being 4:20! Yes it was hot - 30 degrees by the finish - but shouldn't have been that bad. Physical and mental snap...

Good to see Epi back and Biscuitman had good solid comeback run. Sas takes the gold star (and medal!) with a great run and victory in the 4k.

This week I'll be taking it easy - no intervals tomorrow and no racing Thursday evening ; I'll just go along and help out with the timing ..... unless there is a dramatic turnaround in which case I'll race the mile. I doubt it though....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks like you had whati had last week...evertrainitis. A few days rest and you'll feel great again and will get fitter as a result. Hope to see you thursday

DC64 said...

I suspect you are right... I will be at Coker, but prob. not racing.