Friday, December 4, 2009

Coker Workout - 1500m PB

Started off the day with an early morning easy around the Perth Bridges, 9.59km @4:47 HR139. These have turned into a pacing session for a couple of women from Kim's group who are keen to improve, and I'm only too happy to oblige.

In the evening I got to Coker early enough for a decent warmup before the 'points' event, the 1500m. It was warm and windy - 25°41% SSW28/33 - so again, not ideal - I'd better get used to it! Michael was there and we had another good race, although he had the wood on me this time. My legs are still a little heavy from the weekend past and I didn't have any zip in them on home straight. Michael led pretty much from the start, pulling away and me dragging myself back into contention - he ran well to finish a couple of seconds ahead 4:28.x and I racked a good PB of 4:30.2. Disappointed in the finish but happy with the overall level of commitment to the race.

52.3/1:11.3/1:13.4/1:13.4 = 4:30.4

I do have a sense that my leg speed is slipping a bit, so I decided to do the 100m (I think I ran one of these last when I was 12) and 300m races in addition to the 3000m and make a night of it! 3 PB's no less. Did the 100m in 14.3 and again got the sensation of my legs not quite being connected to the ground, my prioreception being all off. A few more of these should help with that.

The 300m was nasty - esp. the last 100m into the decent headwind. My diaphragm actually hurt after that one - 45.6s. There was only one 300m heat so we went straight over to the 3000m start....

I took the first k easy and then tried to pick up the speed - 3:35/3:28/3:19. Happy with that, I was definitely tired at the start but managed get some quality in at the end which should serve me well at some point. Not happy about the return of the Coker Cough though... that dry niggly cough you get from breathing hard at Coker Park track when it's a bit warm and dry. Tends to be gone in a day or so, but it's annoying, and makes you wonder about what you're breathing in.

Tough night, but good. Kim's was a bit crook with her sinus thingy so was disappointed not to run, but was happy helping out with the timing and organisation.I think she enjoyed it a bit too much....

Friday morning did a 6km dead leg shuffle @4:45 HR141 669bpk, and I was definitely glad to be done. Enjoyed the coffee afterwards though.

1 comment:

trailblazer777 said...

sensational 1500m! sounds like a big night. Cool!