Thursday, December 17, 2009

Not much to report

Nothing dramatic in my bloodwork - thyroid, blood counts, B12, Folic, Liver electrlytes all normal. Vit D is a little low at 71 nmol/L (25 ng/ml) - which on further research is maybe half of what it should be) and Ferritin is low at 35 (serum 22, tferrin 36, sat 31%). My current malaise is probably a confluence of too much racing, lack of heat acclimatisation, nutrition and sleep deprivation. I missed intervals yesterday and won't race Coker tonight - did a 9.6km loop at Mends St this morning with a nice low HR of 136 but my lungs didn't feel great ; that I put down to the smoke that has shrouded the city for the last three days. Hopefully Saturdays run in the hills will be good and I can put this all behind me. I feel better now...

2 comments:

Epi said...

Thats still a low ferritin for someone who's not menstruating! More meat, or iron tabs

DC64 said...

I've started popping a daily Ferro-f-tab (elemental Fe 100mg) and some Vit D (in addition to my B12, magnesium and fish oil). It's a lot of pills! I already eat quite a bit of meat. I'll have the blood re-done in a few months to see what's going on. I'm glad my GP is supportive of my running habit and she does appreciate that runners have different requirements to more sedentary folk.