Sunday, April 4, 2010

AMA Nationals

I've had a great few days, and have thoroughly enjoyed  the experience ; the times weren't stellar, but the conditions were awful, esp. for the 5000m. Highlights were the tactical elements to the 1500m which I haven't had a lot of experience with but enjoyed immensley, and out-grinding Ray Boyd and Ross Henderson in the 5k. Admittedly Ray Boyd was only running on one leg and hasn't run for two and a half weeks, but he wasn't out for a jog. Ross was the other M40 age grouper to beat me handsomely in the City to Surf 12k and ran a healthy 16:48 to take 2nd in the Bridges 5km last week.

800m: Windy conditions (SW26/35), not ideal. Too much of a gap going into the back straight into the headwind after overtaking to move into 4th. Tactically didn't work out, this left me battling into the gusty wind just when I needed a bit more. Finished in 2:15:52 which is a PB, but I know I can crack 2:10, today wasn't the day. 63 seconds for 400m, real fadeout. Got a bronze medal for 3rd Australian, and a gold for being state M45 champion.

1500m: Windy again today (SW28/37), nobody went out fast. First 400 in 80sec, all bunched together. I was running easy for the first 2 and a bit, then some guy from NSW cut me off and shoved me back ; just afterwards the jump went with 600 to go and I was caught inside. I went around the offender by which time the 3 leaders had opened a 20m gap which I couldn't reel in, esp with the wind in the back straight.  Finished in 4:36 which means we really motored the last 600 in 1:36! My disappointement is that I read the break, I was just in the wrong position to respond. I have also realised I just don't have the guns that these guys do when it comes to a kick. If I want to be more competitive, I need to race more at the WAAS track Fridays to get used to tactics, and really work on the speed. Thursdays at Coker are really just training sessions, with no real tactics involved, because it's all just front running. Still, happy with 4th (and a results stuff-up saw me on the podium getting bronze despite my protests - sorted out later thankfully), and a gold for the state M45 title.

5000m: Appalling conditions winds up the back straight of 33kph gusting to 48km/h. Sat behind RossH for the first km and then took a turn at the front - I never saw him again. I was leading a pack with him, Ray Boyd and Brett Roach. Brett overtook with 5 laps to go and I didn't have it to stay with him. The others dropped back, so it was just me, the clock and the wind duking it out. Didn't drop off too much and was happy with 17:11 in the conditions. It felt good to be a real medal winner in a tough age group - and not too many times will I go head-to-head with Ray Boyd ( I know he was injured, great commitment to finish- hope the race didn't do too much damage)) and Ross Henderson and come out ahead... the day ended a lot better than it started when I realised I had left my racing shoes at home and had to run in a pair of training shoes  I retired about 6 months ago. I won't do that again!

Many thanks to Kim, Sas, Eldon & Charlotte, Jane, Kate, Biscuitman and family ( I could hear little Sammie's cheers thoughout!), and all the others for the support out there. I felt like I had my own private cheer squad.! I had a great time...


2 comments:

trailblazer777 said...

Outstanding! racing.

"don't have the guns that these guys do when it comes to a kick. If I want to be more competitive, I need to race more at the WAAS track Fridays to get used to tactics, and really work on the speed."
The above is IMO a very correct statement, the pathway to the next level, although thats heading towards "the sky is the limit" territory. Go for it! while the opportunity is there.

Thanks for the reports and pics. Awesome! Congratulations!!!

Clown said...

Some fantastic results there Dave, well done. Winning a medal is an excellent result and very cool.

Cheers