Thursday, April 1, 2010

2010 Australian Masters Championships Preview

Event website  hosted by Masters Athletics WA.

Come on down to the WA Athletics Stadium at Challenge this weekend to see some of the best (older) runners in the country at the moment. It's going to be exciting - not as exciting as the Open Nationals on April 16-18 I grant you, but it will be exciting, and inspiring. Don't think people lose their competitiveness as they get older, quite the opposite!

For me I'm doing the 800m on Friday scheduled start 3:30 ; probably my weakest event, I just can't sustain the pace in the second lap, but hopefully I'll be able to extract a bit extra this time. Current PB a smidge over 2:16.

1500m on Saturday, scheduled start 12:10. I enjoy this one, current PB 4:30.4.

5000m on Sunday, scheduled start 10:20am. Good strong field including the Wombat ( blog here - hopefully he'll be running, an injury kept him out of Bridges) and Ross Henderson, 2nd place in Bridges 5k, Paul Mitchell, Brett Roach, Bruce Graham etc. There are a lot of guys in this that run around 16:40 (and a few that are a lot quicker), so hopefully we can get a group going and give 16:30 a scare.

Medals, I don't care, but I'd like to just run well and hopefully score a new PB or two ; if I can't get excited about this, there's something wrong! I've been feeling pretty good in the last two weeks and have recovered well from Bridges, so fingers crossed for some good weather and good racing. Good luck to everyone who's competing, I know TB is...


Today just did the 9.6km river loop @ 4:47 HR 136 - not bad considering the wind factor.

2 comments:

Biscuitman said...

Good luck for the weekend - I'll try to get out there for at least 2of your races, hopefully all three.

You should blitz sub 2.16 for 800 - tuck in on the first lap and then use your strength with 300m to go.

trailblazer777 said...

Probably the wrong post for this, but Congratulations on the Bronze medal in the 1500m. Outstanding result!

watch out for Bruce Graham in the 5000m if you read this in time, he obliterated Paul Mitchell in the 10,000m on Friday, and Paul has a 31min 10k PB, so that ACT bloke could be better than expected...

I so regret not training better as another 10 seconds and it could have been a WA 1-2-3 in the M 35-39 1500m...