Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Gallipoli Race 8k King's Park

I had a good run in this race. Thought I’d give the slower start a go to see how I felt - the course starts with a monster hill up the Synergy Parkland and left up Lovekin Dr before the turnaround at about 1.5k, then down Lovekin for a k and a bit then turn around again, back to the parkland and down the hill. Repeat.

I think I ended up with a slowish time, but definitely felt better and managed an even split over the two 4k loops - I didn't want to go lactic right from the start and succeeded in that. I just wasn’t invested in this race though, didn’t have the adrenaline on the start line and approached it really as a harder than tempo kind of hitout. Very pleased to reel Clemens Schmidt in up the hill on the second lap, I thought he was away from me - I felt really strong going up the hill a second time. I ended up 9th but very happy with how I felt today.

Great too to run in the Legacy colours with Biscuitman and a host of others – it’s a good fit for the ‘Lest we forget’ race as they are an organisation that looks after families of veterans killed in action or who died later in civilian life… it will have a big presence again next year I’m sure after the success of this one. Nice work E! I live in fear of the photos he took though - a couple at the finish then when I was walking off to get some recovery drink, he asked me to turn for another one. I thought he wanted to capture my good side, but no, he wanted the stream of dribble off my chin glinting in the sunlight. Nice.... I'll post a link to the gallery of (edited) photos from the race when I have them.


Monday morning 11km @4:25 pace HR 147from NextG along Mounts Bay then up the western side of the park back to Next G. For the first time in ages, there was a fairly stiff westerly, which wasn't much fun, but apart from that conditions were good, and I didn't feel yesterday's race in the legs at all.

Tuesday morning 6k @ 4:41 HR 137 recovery, wet cold and windy, not very pleasant. A bit too fast, I guess I wanted to get it done. A North easterly headwind on the way out which was fine, I like a tailwind on the way home .... funny old weather though, it feels like we went from summer to winter overnight.

1 comment:

CharisK said...

Looks like you're running sideways in that one photo - that's true talent! Love the shirt - not big on you at all - tee, hee