Friday, July 10, 2009

Coker Park 1k (3:05) and 4k (14:06)

Met Sandgroper at Coker again for a double bill. It was very pleasant night temperature-wise but we did get a little soggy. Did a decent warmup beforehand, but wussed out on the spikes. I'll need to try them out on a few laps first before trying to race in them, as the last thing I need to do now is rip a calf muscle.....

Just as we lined up for the 1k, it started bucketing down, and the rain was cold. I think I went out too fast and couldn't get the speed up in the two remaining laps. I do have to admit the lashing rain was not ideal and the wind really whipped up as I was coming round the bend into the home straight. It certainly got the HR going, but I never quite got into the pace. The hard breathing left me with a pretty sore throat...

Splits were 34.7, 75.0, 75.7 = 3:05.5

15 minutes after the 1k we set off for the 4k. SG echoed what I was thinking just before we lined up - 'this is going to hurt', and he wasn't wrong, but it wasn't as bad as expected. Thankfully the rain had stopped so conditions were pretty nice, wet clothes and soggy shoes aside (next time I should leave the bag under cover and take a change of runing gear. Rolled through pretty comfortably with 85 second laps - I had to ramp up the effort a bit to maintain them and was pleased to find a kick in the last lap. Actually enjoyed this, pleased with how it went - felt like I could have comfortably maintained the pace for another K, so I'm in better shape than I was a couple of weeks ago, esp. given the hard running I've done this week.

Splits were 85.4, 85.9, 86.1, 85.7, 85.0, 84.2, 85.5, 85.3, 85.1, 77.8 = 14:06.0

As usual I ended up with an itrritated throat for an hour or two afterwards - not sure what that is, I only seem to get it at the track. Looking forward to the rest day tomorrow - next week I'll take it easy with just the intervals on Tuesday and an easy run on Thursday. Next Coker Park visit will be the 5k on July 30.

2 comments:

Biscuitman said...

I reckon you might give your 5km PR a bit of a shake in couple of weeks in the right conditions, especially if you use your new spikes.

trailblazer777 said...

very nice session. some good numbers there!