Sunday, July 5, 2009

Perth Relay Marathon

It was good just to get out there and support the marathon runners. It was a beautiful day, just perfect conditions for running, if a little warm. Saw Epi, Clown and TB out there, I hope their days turned out well. I was running the relay (3rd leg) with Biscuitman busting a good 55:15 for the first leg to put us in third ; Sandgroper took over and delivered the wristband to me still in third, with 4th in hot pursuit. I think I ran the third leg (measured at 9.44 on MapMyRun!) at about 3:45 pace which I'm pretty happy with. It was tough running hard for that long! I think I came in about 5-6 minutes ahead of 4th to give Pete a good crack at bringing home the bacon. I think our final time was about 2:53 - anyhow we were 3rd, and got a medal and a $50 Asics voucher for our troubles....

Special mention must go to Kim who battled bravely all day to finish her 3rd marathon. Her preparation hasn't been ideal, culminating in being skittled by a couple of dogs at the park a few weeks ago. I ran in with her from the 33km mark at it was good to be able to support. I'm proud of how she pushed through all the pain to finish....

Ended up doing about 20k today.

Comisserations to Epi and Clown who both had tough days, but still hit some good PB's. Marathon running's tough enough when you're having a good day, and it takes a lot of guts and strength of character to push through when you're having a bad one. Well done guys, you'll cherish the sub-3 all the more when it happens.

Also to TB, the same thoughts apply, kudos to you for gutsing out a bad day.

2 comments:

trailblazer777 said...

Congratulations to yourself,Biscuitman Sandgroper and Pete on getting onto the podium (figureatively speaking?)! Thanks for the encouragement.
Good running!

Clown said...

Well done Sugar, great to see that your running is going well and great result. I can't remember seeing you out there but maybe that's when I was just focusing on finishing the damn thing.

I'll get there one day, hook or by crook :)