Sunday, August 16, 2009

Lake Joondalup 5k - 16:52

Pretty good conditions today, temperature was comfortable and a little wind on the outward stretch but not a factor. The course was a bit of a factor - there were some significant hills especially just after the turnaround which took a bit of effort. More of a rolling course than a flat one ( map ). Ran a fairly even pace for the whole thing ; I stuck with a group (Steven Courtney, Liam Fuery and a few others) for the first 4k and then tried to push on to the finish (they were doing the 10!) - it was great having a group to run with - I couldn't allow myself to drop off the pace. Pace suffered a little going up the hill after the turnaround and I reckon the turnaround ( a single witches hat on a narrow path) cost me a bit as well. Still, very happy with the run and the effort and I know there's more where that came from. I know the second and third k's were a bit soft but those were the tough hills (and I'm not sure the 2nd marker was in the right spot - I was surprised to see the split because I hadn't dropped the effort).

Sandgroper came out and had a pretty good run as well ; we're all heading in the right direction!

Splits:

3:18.0 3:24.6 3:29.6 3:20.3 3:18.9 = 16:51.4

It was really exciting to see a couple of Kenyans come and and give Courtney Carter a run for his money ; he finished in 31 and change and the two Kenyans were 30:xx. A strong field had a few other other good runs too - Sean O'Neill did ~32:15, Mike Lori 33:15 or so and Katrina Geyer brought home the women's event in 36:55. Rochelle Thorpe third I think. TB in his own inimitable style led the field for the first 300m or so.

The 5k had some good times as well ; Ethan Heywood won in 15:15 odd (he just seems to keep getting better) and Kenji Nener was third in 15:40 something. I was at the back picking up the t-shirts....

4 comments:

Clown said...

Nice work, you're ceratinly running very well and seem to be loving the shorter distances.

Would have been great watching the Kenyans run, were they the ones in the Sunday Times today?

trailblazer777 said...

Impressive run! Well done! was a great race to be a part of...have to agree the hilly bit probably slowed times a little for all of us...inimitable thats a good word...hahaha
Cant wait to see how the Kenyans v Ethiopians battle goes at the C2S!
be like having the world champs in our own backyard, which incidentally I am trying to catch a bit of on SBS2 this week...

DC64 said...

Not sure if they were the same (I don't get the ST) ; I was speaking to someone after the race and they said that (I think )yesterday's winner won the 3000m at Sydney 2000. Anyhow they were cruising and CC was really putting it in the effort. A great run for him though. Looking forward to seeing these guys in the C2S marathon.

Biscuitman said...

Good run David - congrats. Probably close to sub 16.40 on the track given the course. Rueben Kosgei won the steeple in Sydney 2000 so if it was him he's pretty close to Running Royalty.