Sunday, June 21, 2009

A Good Start : Perth HM 5K

Had a pretty good run today ; I was just wanting to cruise this one comfortably and found myself at the first k marker at 3:30.... the legs were feeling OK, the hip a little niggly but soon the lactic overload feeling took over from any leg pain. I continued running fairly well and before I knew it I was at the turnaround. They really needed to put a mat down because it was hellish slippery and I very nearly went down even though I slowed down and took it very wide (if anyone's run in S.Perth, they know how bad the bike path gets). My right leg went from under me and I hit the ground with my hand - fortunately I got away with it without any real problems. I had pulled away from the guy I overtook just before the turn, and the next guy in front was a few 100m ahead so I just tried to maintain the pace. I know I slacked off a bit in the 4th K, but I haven't done any intervals for over two months and with the limited running I've been doing I'm pretty thrilled to finish in 18:06. So far too, I'v pulled up OK.

Bumped into a few people including Original Simon who isn't running ATM with an injury similar to Sas', and was sorry to see Slippery in a leg cast after rupturing his Achilles just after the Bunbury HIM. Courtney Carter won in a fantastic 1:07:17 and it was great to see Tina Major come out after having a baby 16 weeks ago and win in 1:24:25.


2 comments:

trailblazer777 said...

Well done!
I agree about that slippery bitumen...
thanks for the photo link too.

Clown said...

Fantastic result, well done.