Sunday, March 14, 2010

Stinker

Down in Denmark putting some finishing touches on our holiday rental, I was expecting it to be a bit cooler than in Perth. Not so much... headed out just after 7am, so quite late, and the temperatre was already 27 degrees. The air was really dry and airless, so I kept thinking what a long day it was going to be. Happily the sun stayed away, oerwise it could have been brutal. I planned to run about 26km and ended up doing 25km as it turned out. Im still finding my way around the trails of Denmark, and this was a beautiful run. I went from the house down to the rivermouth, cut back towards Ocean Beach Rd on the Denmark-Nornalup trail and then ran down Ocean Beach Rd to, well, Ocean Beach (map).

The trail is still very soft and sandy, so no fun at all, but I felt better once I hit the footpath. I was carrying water today which is unusual, but it was handy to whet the whistle from time to time, to keep this from being a totally horrendous experience. The run along OB is stunning once you descend past Lights Rd to run along the inlet, and it was a surprise, albeit a pleasant one, to get to Ocean Beach and find a surf club and toilet block with running water ... beautiful beach as well. After I inhaled my Gu, I headed back and felt pretty good. Did a reasonable pace on the way back and went thru wierd phases of feeling great and my legs feeling utterly stuffed, depending on the gradient. The sandy trail was fun as well...

All in all a good run, but a rest day (and easy week) is in order I think.

2 comments:

Epi said...

Hate it when the air is airless...

DC64 said...

You're not wrong... ;-)