Sunday, March 7, 2010

WAMC Swan Twilight 5k

Wasn't sure what to expect today ; this morning I definitely felt a little fatigued still. This wore off as the day progressed and by race time I was feeling OK. Wore my new Adidas Rocket flats and I love them ; the Mizuno flats - Precision and Musha - just never gave me the same responsiveness as the Mizuno XC shoes I wear at the track. Did a short warmup and then stood at the start line - a good field - Busi, Lee, Hands, Stockwell, Lee, Schmidt, La Spina, etc. - no slacking for me! I started conservatively ( not so some, who went a little early  - 'cheeky buggers!' was one reaction ) and felt really comfortable up to the first bridge ; the climb up was a bit tough  - I thought that was it but they recovered OK and I felt good again heading over the bridge to E.Perth, running with Cyrus Hands and Matt La Spina just behind. We headed against the wind south along the river and then climbed up to Jewell Lane - again the hill sucked the strength from the legs. It obviously had the same effect on Cyrus and Matt - I never saw them again.... I saw Stephen Stockwell ( my main M45 contender - who happens to whip my arse every time) about 30m ahead ; a lead he had had pretty much from the start, but I couldn't close it. He was running with another guy and they seemed to be teaming it into the wind back to the club. I was solo at this point but not feeling too bad for that stage of a 5k, too bad I hadn't made the effort to stick with him at the start, I would have given myself a chance ; next time, Stockwell....

I was very happy and surprised to finish in around 17:12 in 6th (Kim took a nice picure that magically knocked 10 seconds off my time!). I am really starting to feel like my energy levels are getting back up to how I felt pre-summer, it's been a a rough few months but hopefully I have seen the end of that for now.

1 comment:

CharisK said...

If you want to beat SS, maybe you shouldn't run 32km the day before :)